Scotland Yard has asked the News of the World to hand over any new material relating to phone hacking allegations.
The move follows the suspension of Ian Edmondson, a senior executive at the Sunday newspaper, over claims that he was linked to the hacking of actress Sienna Miller’s voicemail messages.
A document lodged in the High Court links Edmondson with the interception of messages from the phones of Miller and her partner Jude Law.
Scotland Yard said in a statement on Friday: “The Metropolitan Police Service has this evening written to the News of The World requesting any new material they may have in relation to alleged phone hacking following the suspension of a member of their staff.”
Miller is suing the News of The World’s parent company, News Group, and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, accusing them of breaching her privacy and of harassment.
The new allegations pre-date the January 2007 jailing of Goodman and Mulcaire for intercepting mobile phone messages.
The News of the World suspended Edmondson shortly before Christmas and is carrying out an internal investigation into the claims against him.
A spokeswoman for the paper said: “If the conclusion of the investigation or the litigation is that the allegation is proven, appropriate action will be taken.
“The News of The World has a zero tolerance approach to any wrongdoing.”
In another new development, it is understood that the Met Police have until Wednesday to provide sports agent Sky Andrew with information relating to the hacking of his phone by Glenn Mulcaire for the News of The World.
He was one of the individuals targeted by Goodman and Mulcaire named in the 2006 police prosecution of the pair.
Meanwhile, a variety of other high-profile individuals are lining up to sue the News of The World for breach of privacy over claims their phone messages were listened. Those who have filed writs at the High Court including former MP George Galloway and comedian Steve Coogan.
After a series of police interviews with former News of The World staffers – prompted by stories in the New York Times and The Guardian – the director of public prosecutions said last month there was insufficient evidence to bring new charges over allegations of phone hacking.