The former prostitute at the centre of an injunction over claims that she slept with a famous British actor has said she regrets speaking to the press.
The married star won a court order to stop British newspapers from identifying him, but he has been named in the US.
- August 14, 2017
- June 15, 2016
- June 7, 2016
Helen Wood, who once claimed she had an affair with England footballer Wayne Rooney while his wife Coleen was pregnant with her first child, said she wishes she had never made disparaging comments about the actor.
She told ITV’s This Morning: “I was an idiot and I regret the comments that I said massively, especially after seeing the quotes and how they have spiced it up, but I can’t erase that.”
She added: “Some of the things have been made to sound worse than they were. I didn’t think at the time how bad it would look.
“I massively regret the comments that I made. I am embarrassed about it.”
Miss Wood, who won Big Brother in 2014, told the Sun that the actor paid £195 through an escort agency to have sex with her in March 2010.
Speaking on the chat show, she said that figure is incorrect and the actor need not have taken out the injunction because she would not have sold her story to a newspaper.
She told the programme: “I have spoken to his barrister six years ago and asked why he had the injunction.
“I do get why he has done it because he was a bit spooked and thought that maybe I would sell a story but he needn’t have bothered because I wouldn’t have done that.”
She added: “I’ve not done a kiss-and-tell, I haven’t made a bean out of this. I’m in the public eye because somebody else sold my name.
“It was six years ago, it wasn’t a proper interview and I was asked are there any more stories that could possibly come out about me.”
The Sun newspaper said the court injunction was obtained five years ago to prevent it revealing the actor’s identity in the UK.
An American magazine has now published his name with details of his alleged infidelity. The actor’s name was also circulated on social media.
An American publication named another celebrity last month, who is alleged to have taken part in extra-marital activities despite the English media being banned from reporting his identity.
Supreme Court judges are still considering whether to lift the injunction in that case, in which the famous man is referred to only as PJS.