View all newsletters
Sign up for our free email newsletters

Fighting for quality news media in the digital age.

  1. News
March 16, 2020updated 30 Sep 2022 9:03am

Press Gazette reader poll shows 51 per cent don’t think coronavirus poses serious threat to news industry

By Freddy Mayhew

A small majority of Press Gazette readers do not consider the coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak to pose a serious threat to the news industry.

Over the past week, 450 people responded to the question: “How serious a threat does the coronavirus outbreak pose to the news industry?”

Some 162 voters (36 per cent) said it posed only a minor threat, while 69 voters (15 per cent) say it is no threat at all – a combined total of 231 votes (51 per cent).

But, 118 voters said the virus is a major threat (26 per cent), with 101 voters (22 per cent) saying it is an “extremely serious” threat – a combined total of 219 votes (49 per cent).

The numbers of cases of coronavirus in the UK continue to climb, with more than 1,400 confirmed so far and 35 deaths attributed to the virus.

Newsrooms have responded to the spread of the Covid-19 in different ways.

Content from our partners
<a></a>Key ways to futureproof your media career as journalism job cuts bite deep
Slow online ads cost UK publishers £50m a year: Here's how to fix them
Mather Economics and InsurAds combine to help publishers boost revenue

Some, such as the FT, have told journalists to work from home, while others, such as Mirror, Express and Star publisher Reach, continue to expect staff to come into the office but have stepped up cleaning.

A Times journalist has been diagnosed with Covid-19.

Methodology: This poll was an indicative survey of Press Gazette readers which ran on the site from Tuesday 3 March to Monday 10 March 2020. It used cookie-based tracking to stop readers from voting twice. Press Gazette’s readers are predominantly journalists and others who work in the news industry.

Picture: Reuters/Henry Nicholls

Topics in this article : ,

Email to point out mistakes, provide story tips or send in a letter for publication on our "Letters Page" blog

Select and enter your email address Weekly insight into the big strategic issues affecting the future of the news industry. Essential reading for media leaders every Thursday. Your morning brew of news about the world of news from Press Gazette and elsewhere in the media. Sent at around 10am UK time. Our weekly does of strategic insight about the future of news media aimed at US readers. A fortnightly update from the front-line of news and advertising. Aimed at marketers and those involved in the advertising industry.
  • Business owner/co-owner
  • CEO
  • COO
  • CFO
  • CTO
  • Chairperson
  • Non-Exec Director
  • Other C-Suite
  • Managing Director
  • President/Partner
  • Senior Executive/SVP or Corporate VP or equivalent
  • Director or equivalent
  • Group or Senior Manager
  • Head of Department/Function
  • Manager
  • Non-manager
  • Retired
  • Other
Visit our privacy Policy for more information about our services, how Progressive Media Investments may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications.
Thank you

Thanks for subscribing.

Websites in our network