Terry Newell: 'The finest journalist you could meet'

It is with a heavy heart that the north London-based Times Series reported the untimely death of a much-loved friend, colleague, and true Fleet Street journalist.

Terry Newell, 75, was a sub-editor, feature writer and editor during his 12 years on the Times Series from 1998 to 2010.

Terry, born June 1935 and brought up in Fulham, began his career in 1958 learning his trade at magazines such as Health & Strength and Practical Householder.

He moved on to work as a freelance reporter and sub-editor on newspapers such as The Daily Sketch and The Morning Advertiser.

A huge sports fan, Terry also worked the Saturday shift on the Sunday Telegraph sports desk where he subbed copy and wrote rugby match reports.

At the same time he moved from freelance to staff member at the Daily Mirror where he worked as a sub-editor on the features desk until the mid-1990s

Fleet Street’s loss was north west London’s gain as after a short break Terry joined the Times Series in 1998.

His hard work and dedication on both The Kilburn Times and Willesden and Brent Chronicle (as the Times was called then) ensured the paper reached sales of almost 10,000 and provided a voice for the community.

Times Series news editor Lorraine King said: ‘To say Terry was one of a kind would not do him justice.

‘He was one of the finest journalists you could ever meet and one of the truest friends you could hope for.

“Few who met him will ever forget the love he had for Brent and the kindness he showed so many junior reporters starting out in the trade.

“Neither will we forget his Friday evening routine of frogmarching staff out of the office and into the pub where he would always buy the first round.”

An avid runner, Terry was one of just a few people to have run every London Marathon up until 2008, when ill health led doctors to ask Terry to slow down.

He did just that but kept up as editor of the East and West Clandon Parish Magazine, a role he held for over 10 years and one which he loved.

He was rarely seen without his camera in hand and appeared at almost every event that took place in the two Surrey villages.

Terry passed away at home with his family on Sunday, 8 May.

He is survived by his daughter Jane and son David.

No comments to display

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *