View all newsletters
Sign up for our free email newsletters

Fighting for quality news media in the digital age.

Survey suggests more than 1,000 UK bloggers think it is not important to declare sponsored posts

By Dominic Ponsford

Some 13 per cent of UK bloggers do not believe it is important to disclose the fact that some of their posts are sponsored, a survey has found.

The statistic, revealed in a survey of bloggers by the media directory provider Vuelio, suggests that hundreds of website writers in the UK may be flouting Advertising Standards Association guidelines.

The ASA states that all marketing information needs to be clearly labelled as such (this includes online editorial content and posts on social media).

Those who pay bloggers for editorial coverage which is not declared could also be committing an offence under the Bribery Act 2010. This states that it is against the law to pay someone to perform their functions improperly.

Vuelio sent a questionnaire to all the 11,000 bloggers on its database and based its report on 586 usable responses.

It found that some 50 per cent of bloggers surveyed said they believe they should be paid for all coverage they give to brands.

Asked whether sponsorship disclosure was important for every collaboration, some 87 per cent said yes – leaving 13 per cent who either did not agree with this, did not know or declined to say.

Content from our partners
How Germany's Ippen.Media mastered content planning across 86 newsrooms
Free journalism awards for journalists under 30: Deadline today
MHP Group's 30 To Watch awards for young journalists open for entries

The survey found that some 12 per cent of UK bloggers say their personal website is their main source of income.

Of those who blogged professionally, only 76 per cent said they agreed that sponsorship disclosure was important.

The report found that Lifestyle is the most popular blogging category, followed by parenting/family; fashion and health, travel and then food and drink.

Some 31 per cent of those surveyed said their blogs attract more than 10,000 unique visitors per month.

Read the survey in full.

Picture: Reuters/Phil Noble

Topics in this article :

Email to point out mistakes, provide story tips or send in a letter for publication on our "Letters Page" blog

Select and enter your email address Weekly insight into the big strategic issues affecting the future of the news industry. Essential reading for media leaders every Thursday. Your morning brew of news about the world of news from Press Gazette and elsewhere in the media. Sent at around 10am UK time. Our weekly does of strategic insight about the future of news media aimed at US readers. A fortnightly update from the front-line of news and advertising. Aimed at marketers and those involved in the advertising industry.
  • Business owner/co-owner
  • CEO
  • COO
  • CFO
  • CTO
  • Chairperson
  • Non-Exec Director
  • Other C-Suite
  • Managing Director
  • President/Partner
  • Senior Executive/SVP or Corporate VP or equivalent
  • Director or equivalent
  • Group or Senior Manager
  • Head of Department/Function
  • Manager
  • Non-manager
  • Retired
  • Other
Visit our privacy Policy for more information about our services, how Progressive Media Investments may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications.
Thank you

Thanks for subscribing.

Websites in our network