Charles McGhee has resigned from The Herald after two and half years in the job.
McGhee has been with parent company Newsquest for ten years and was previously editor of broadsheet Herald’s sister evening paper in Glasgow – the Evening Times.
In the last national newspaper ABC figures The Herald was down 7.6 per cent year-on-year to an average of 63,951 sales a day. Sales were over 70,000 when he took over the job.
The move comes two months after Newsquest Glasgow announced it was cutting 40 jobs, including 20 in editorial, across its three titles: the Evening Times, Herald and Sunday Herald.
McGhee was president of the Society of Editors in 2006.
In a statement McGhee said: “It has been a tremendous challenge to have worked on all three titles in the group, helping to launch one and editing the two others.
“In particular, it has been a privilege to edit The Herald, now celebrating its 225th year as Scotland’s leading quality daily newspaper, and to work with some of the country’s finest journalists during a period of great transformational change in print and online publishing.
“I remain passionate and optimistic about the role of newspapers in the multimedia age and I would now like to apply the experience I have gained over 30 years to some of the broader challenges within the media sector, both nationally and internationally.”
Tim Blott, managing director of the Herald and Times Group, said: “Charles has been a tremendous editor and ambassador for the company. I thank him for all he has done for us and wish him every success in the future.”
A successor has yet to be appointed.