Stanley Hornsby - Former editor of the West Cumberland Times & Star - Press Gazette

Stanley Hornsby - Former editor of the West Cumberland Times & Star

Stanley Hornsby, former editor of the West Cumberland Times & Star, has died at his home in Cockermouth aged 87.

Stanley began his 50-year journalism career in 1931 in the Whitehaven office of the North West Evening Mail.

was transferred to Millom in 1938 for the evening and weekly papers
before being called up for wartime service, where he trained in the 178
Field Ambulance. In 1942 he was promoted to sergeant and posted to the
94th General Hospital in North Africa.

He returned to journalism
at Millom and Whitehaven and joined Cumbrian Newspapers in 1959 as
deputy editor at Workington, Carlisle and Whitehaven before becoming
editor of the Times & Star. He retired in 1981, soon after stepping
down from chairmanship of the North West Editors Guild.

career included covering two major pit disasters, the opening of the
world’s first atomic power station at Sellafield, the Windscale fire
and, on one occasion, being lost at sea for a day when going out to
interview the crew of a missionary ship.

Present Times & Star
editor Steve Johnston said: “Stan Hornsby dedicated his life to local
newspapers and service to the community in Cumbria.”

At 16,
Stanley was a founder secretary of Kells St Mary’s Catholic Young Men’s
Society in Whitehaven. Later, he was a member of the Whitehaven Knights
of St Columba for 30 years.

When he moved home to Egremont after
his marriage in 1951, he was parttime clerk to the parish council and
secretary of the revived town carnival for 25 years.

He was an
executive member of the Egremont Chamber of Trade and served on the
Whitehaven Chamber of Commerce committee for several years.

was also founder chairman of the Whitehaven branch of the Deaf
Association, founder secretary of the Whitehaven Rugby League

Club and a member of the steering committee which led to the establishment of the rugby league club.

In Workington, he joined the steering committee which established West Cumbria’s first talking newspaper for the blind.

He joined the Rotary Club in 1961 and was president of the Cockermouth Probus Club in 1990.

In his retirement, he concentrated on volunteer work with the Abbeyfield Society and was chairman at Cockermouth for four years.

Stanley is survived by his wife Marjorie, daughter Valerie, son Stephen and three grandchildren.

Times & Star