The Daily Record emerged from the Scottish Press Awards last night with five gongs to its name, including newspaper of the year.
The paper also picked up the scoop and front page awards for “THE VOW”, its splash on David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband’s promise to devolve further powers to Scotland in the event of a no vote in the Scottish independence referendum.
The pledge was published exclusively in the Daily Record, and was seen as a turning point in the referendum campaign.
Two Daily Record journalists picked up individual awards as well. Keith Jackson was named sports news writer of the year for the third year in a row and David Clegg was awarded political journalist of the year.
Marion Scott from the Sunday Mail, the Daily Record’s sister title, won both reporter and journalist of the year.
The Fife Free Press picked up weekly newspaper of the year.
The awards ceremony, which is in its 36th year, was organised by the Scottish Newspaper Society.
The Society’s director, John McLellan, said: “2014 was a year to remember and all our editorial teams more than stepped up to the plate to deliver some brilliant journalism which captured a significant moment in time.
“Scottish newspapers remained at the heart of the action and reaffirmed the industry's ability to make vital contributions to the decisions affecting the lives of all Scots.”
The full list of winners is as follows:
- Sports photographer of the year: Stewart Attwood, Herald and Times group
- News photographer of the year: Jeff Mitchell, Getty images
- Cartoonist of the year: Brian Petrie, The Scottish Sun
- Young journalist of the year: Darren Hamilton, Evening Telegraph
- Weekly newspaper of the year: Fife Free Press
- Arts/entertainment journalist of the year: Brian Beacom, The Herald
- Interviewer of the year: Patricia Kane, Scottish Mail on Sunday
- Political journalist of the year: David Clegg, Daily Record
- Columnist of the year: Chris Deerin, Scottish Daily Mail
- Financial/business journalist of the year: Erikka Askeland, The Press & Journal
- Feature writer of the year: Emma Cowing, Scottish Daily Mail
- Sports feature writer of the year: Aidan Smith, The Scotsman
- Sports news writer of the year: Keith Jackson, Daily Record
- Innovation of the year: Scotland Now
- Front page of the year: Daily Record and THE VOW
- Journalism team of the year: Scottish Daily Mail
- Campaign of the year: Scottish Daily Mail on Armed Police
- Scoop of the year: Murray Foote, THE VOW for the Daily Record
- Reporter of the year: Marion Scott, Sunday Mail
- Lifetime achievement award: Drew Cochrane
- Journalist of the year: Marion Scott, Sunday Mail
- Chairman’s award for outstanding achievement in 2014: Richard Walker, Sunday Herald
- Newspaper of the year: Daily Record
Pictured, winners at the Scottish Press Awards. Credit: Jeff Holmes