Sun's Chris Pharo and Jamie Pyatt not guilty: 'It's the end of a four-year long nightmare' - Press Gazette

Sun's Chris Pharo and Jamie Pyatt not guilty: 'It's the end of a four-year long nightmare'

The last Sun journalists to be prosecuted under Operation Elveden investigation into cash for stories were cleared today.

Following a re-trial at the Old Bailey, news editor Chris Pharo, 46, and district reporter Jamie Pyatt, 52, were found not guilty of aiding and abetting a Surrey police officer to commit misconduct in a public office between 2002 and 2011.

The jury was not told the officer at the heart of the case, Simon Quinn, of Horsham, West Sussex, had pleaded guilty to the offence and been jailed for 18 months earlier this year.

Today's verdicts bring to a close a string of trials against tabloid journalists, the majority of whom worked for The Sun or the now defunct News Of the World.

The jury deliberated for nearly 12 hours. The verdict was greeted by cheers from supporters and colleagues.

Pyatt's lawyer Nigel Rumfitt QC told the court there had been a "monumental error of judgment in pursuing the case".

The confidential dealings of the defendants with public officials came to light in the wake of News International's decision to hand emails to police after it became embroiled in the 2011 phone-hacking scandal.

Out of the 29 cases against journalists, only one conviction by a jury stands – that of Sun crime reporter Anthony France.

By contrast, some 26 public officials have been convicted.

The NI paper trail showed Quinn, referred to in court as 2044, had received some £10,000 for tips on high-profile criminal investigations, including the murder of schoolgirl Milly Dowler, "trophy rapist" Tony Imiela and quadruple killer Daniel Gonzalez.

But Pharo, from London and Pyatt, of Windsor, denied actively encouraging the officer to breach his professional duty.

Pyatt insisted that the information he received was all in the "public interest" and there was "nothing in there so confidential and secret the public don't have a right to read it".

The reporter said he was "given" the police officer as a contact by The Sun newsdesk and everything he did was "sanctioned" by the newspaper.

Pharo told jurors his only involvement was valuing some of Pyatt's stories and passing the reporter's requests for cash payments to his Surrey police source up the editorial chain for authorisation.

He complained that his former boss Rebekah Brooks was "back in her job" as chief executive while he was answering questions about the affair in court.

After Brooks became editor in 2003, and Andy Coulson took over the News of the World, Pharo and his colleagues came under increased pressure to produce exclusives as rivalry between the sister titles intensified, he said.

Mrs Brooks was cleared of all wrongdoing following a trial last year which also saw Coulson jailed for the wide-ranging phone-hacking plot.

Pharo and Pyatt became the last journalists to stand trial for paying public officials after a review by Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders in April.

Saunders dropped nine out of 12 outstanding cases after former News of the World crime reporter Lucy Panton successfully appealed against her conviction.

Outside court, the two men embraced as they told of their four-year long Elveden "nightmare" and questioned why £30m of taxpayers' money had been spent on prosecuting people for "doing their job".

Pharo told reporters: "It's the end of a four-year long nightmare for Jamie and I but it's extended way beyond just us.

"It's damaged our families, our friends and the true human cost to everybody caught up in Operation Elveden is incalculable.

"I want to ask one simple question: how could anyone imagine spending more than £30m over four years prosecuting journalists for doing their job was remotely in the public interest?"

Pharo thanked his friends and family for their support, in particular his journalist wife Jen, who has attended court every day of the trial.

Pyatt said: "It's four years of my life taken away. It's been a nightmare.

"The head has finally been chopped off the Elveden dragon. It's gone. It should never have been there in the first place. It's disgraceful."

He said that nothing could prepare him as a journalist for the moment if was brought in by police and finger-printed for "doing your job".

He added: "I can live again, hopefully, thank God."

On the fact only his colleague France had been found guilty by a jury, he said: "I think if you go through enough journalists, unfortunately it is the law of averages you will get a wrong jury.

"I wish the Court of Appeal judges see sense that Anthony cannot be responsible for the payment policy of a global media giant. He is an innocent man and deserves to have his good name back."

The journalist questioned why 80 Elveden police officers had been taken off the streets to investigate journalists and said Director of Public Prosecutions Saunders should "consider her position" over the decision to press ahead with the retrial.

He added: "I would like to thank my wife who has stood by me every step of the way. My boys have been brilliant. I just can't wait to get all three of them to the pub and get really pissed."

The Crown Prosecution Service defended the decision to pursue the two journalists, saying: "It is right that a jury, rather than the CPS, decides whether a defendant is guilty or not.

"The CPS is duty-bound to prosecute cases which provide a realistic prospect of conviction and are in the public interest. This test is significantly different to that of a jury, which must only convict if they are assured of guilt beyond all reasonable doubt. The case was allowed by the judge to progress to a full trial and we respect the verdict of the jury today.

"This case in particular involved allegations of multiple payments to a corrupt public official in areas where the public should generally expect confidentiality."



Press Gazette's must-read weekly newsletter featuring interviews, data, insight and investigations.