Trinity Mirror's new cut-price national newspaper is set to be launched in just over a month, according to well-placed sources.
Earlier this month, Press Gazette revealed Sunday Mirror editor Alison Phillips was leading a team seconded to work on the title.
The Guardian reports today that it will be aimed at female readers. Well-placed sources have told Press Gazette that a female-targeted title was being considered but that this has not been confirmed.
One Mirror insider described the newspaper launch as the "worst kept secret on Fleet Street" and said it was "odd" that nothing has been announced by the company, internally or externally.
Three sources have told Press Gazette they understand the newspaper is set to launch at the end of February/ beginning of March.
One said they understand staff working on the project have been required to sign confidentiality clauses following media reports about the launch.
Earlier this month, when Press Gazette reported that a team was working on the title, a Trinity Mirror spokesperson confirmed: "We are exploring alternative revenue streams across the publishing division as part of our ongoing strategy and we have seconded some resource as part of this."
Today, Trinity Mirror declined to comment any further.