The Bureau of Investigative Journalism is searching for a new editor to start in the summer when Christopher Hird (pictured) stands down.
Hird was brought into the Bureau in January 2013 following the departure of Iain Overton, who resigned in the wake of the Newsnight programme which falsely reported claims that a senior Conservative politican from the Thatcher era was a paedophile. A reporter from the Bureau worked on the Newsnight report on secondment.
Hird has previously worked at the Economist, Daily Mail, New Statesman and Sunday Times, where he was Insight editor. According to the Bureau, he was appointed on an interim basis.
He said: “I have had a fantastic time at the Bureau since I arrived in January 2013, working with a great team and helping put the Bureau back on the journalistic map.
“But I think the time is now right to hand it over to someone who will lead it for the next period of development and growth.”
Chair of the Trust James Lee said: “Christo has done a great job, for which we owe him thanks. He has prepared the way and made it possible for us to take the next great leap forward.
“This is an exciting challenge for an ambitious journalist, who has the editorial instincts and experience of conventional investigative journalism as well as the will and the ability to grasp the opportunities created by new technology.”
As well leading the Bureau's investigative team, the new editor will be charged with experimenting to find new business models for the Bureau's work.
The Bureau's largest funders are former Sunday Times journalist Elaine Potter and her husband David. It has also recently received a "substantial funding" from the Bertha Foundation.
Email email@example.com to point out mistakes, provide story tips or send in a letter for publication on our "Letters Page" blog