George Clooney has said he will get behind the camera to direct a film on the phone-hacking scandal.
The film star, who has previously directed movies including this year's Monuments Men, will bring journalist Nick Davies' book Hack Attack to the big screen, with shooting scheduled to begin next year.
- October 8, 2009
The 53-year-old, who is the son of journalist Nick Clooney and is engaged to London-based lawyer lawyer Amal Alamuddin, said he is delighted to be involved in the film which will focus on the scandal that engulfed Rupert Murdoch's news empire.
"This has all the elements – lying, corruption, blackmail – at the highest levels of government by the biggest newspaper in London," he said in a statement.
"And the fact that it's true is the best part. Nick is a brave and stubborn reporter and we consider it an honour to put his book to film."
Davies told Press Gazette he did not know who would play his character best – "or even if I end up being portrayed at all".
"It’s all a blank sheet of paper at the moment," he said.
"But I think Clooney will do it well. I’m really glad he’s involved."
Davies' book was the product of six years of investigation at News Corporation and News International.
Former No 10 spin doctor Andy Coulson was convicted for his part in the plot in June after a lengthy trial at the Old Bailey. His co-defendants Rebekah Brooks and managing editor Stuart Kuttner denied any wrongdoing and were cleared of all charges.
Hacking victims included the family of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler, sports stars, a whole host of celebrities and members of the Royal Family.