About South China Morning Post Publishers Limited
South China Morning Post Publishers Limited is a leading newspaper and magazine publisher in Asia. Its flagship publication, the South China Morning Post, is Hong Kong's internationally recognised English language newspaper and has the city's most affluent and influential readership.
First published in 1903, the newspaper has developed an enviable reputation for authoritative, influential and independent reporting on Hong Kong, China and the rest of Asia. Available in print, mobile, tablets and online through scmp.com and e-reader editions, the South China Morning Post reaches a global audience with daily breaking news, analysis and opinion, multimedia articles and interactive forums. TheSouth China Morning Post received 160 awards in 2015-16 for excellence in editorial, marketing and technical capabilities. Other titles in the Group include the Sunday Morning Post, Nanzao.com (??.com), Nanzaozhinan.com (??????.com),STYLE, Destination Macau, The PEAK, HK Magazine and The List.
Through the joint venture partnership with Hearst, SCMP Hearst publishes the Chinese editions of Cosmopolitan, CosmoBride, Harper’s BAZAAR, Harper’s BAZAAR Art, Harper’s BAZAAR Bride, Esquire, ELLE, ELLE Men, ELLE Wedding, ELLE Décoration, and ELLE Accessories; and operates Cosmopolitan.com.hk, Cosmogirl.com.hk, Harpersbazaar.com.hk, ELLE.com.hk and EsquireHK.com in Hong Kong.
With an expanding business across a number of print and digital platforms, we are looking for candidates of high caliber to fill the following position:
Experienced News Sub-Editors (Ref: PGTL-ED-SE)
The SCMP is expanding and we are looking for talented, experienced and passionate sub-editors with online and print skills for our Hong Kong, China, Culture/Op-Ed and Business news desks.
- Editing, checking facts, rewriting and improving copy with care and sensitivity and ensuring copy is error-free
- Crafting top-notch SEO and print headlines, standfirsts and captions
- Ensuring all stories have the appropriate, accurate and eye-catching visual elements
- Using analytical tools to make sure the right stories are delivered in a timely way
- Curating skills to help manage homepages
- Minimum three years of experience in a real-time online news operation, a wire service or a newspaper is essential: no beginners considered
- Applicants for China desk positions should ideally have worked in China
- Financial news experience, preferably in China, required for Business desk positions
- Features and lifestyle background or magazine experience required for Culture desk positions
- Previous work experience in Op-Ed preferred for that role, Chinese-language skills highly desirable
- Awareness of media law and legal dangers in copy, and of social media as a news dissemination tool
- Strong familiarity with the Asia context of news
- Can-do attitude with top-notch English subbing skills and zero tolerance for errors in grammar, spelling and content
- Solid news judgment and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Capable of turning around raw copy fast when needed and the patience and good humour to work constructively with reporters for whom English is a second language
How to apply:
Interested parties please send curriculum vitae with full career details, salary history, availability and expected salary by email to email@example.com. Please mark "Private & Confidential" and quote reference.
Job closing date: 20 May 2016
Location: Hong Kong
Salary: Negotiable, Depending on Experience.