In this week’s Press Gazette magazine:
March 6, 2019
January 12, 2018
September 5, 2012
- We urge three High Court judges not to compel freelance journalist Shiv Malik to hand over his notes to Greater Manchester Police in an open letter on page one:”If this cornerstone of UK press freedom is shattered by a ruling in GMP’s favour, it will undermine the very democracy that the Terrorism Act is intended to defend.”
- The magazine journalist who is literally planning to have a fist fight with one of his readers.
- A report from the employment tribunal of former News of the World sports writer Matt Driscoll which raises questions about the management culture at the News International red-top.
- We investigate the truth behind the meteoric rise which has seen the Telegraph depose The Guardian as the UK’s number one national newspaper website.
- Incoming New Statesman editor Jason Cowley reveals his plans for the title. The current Granta editor says: “It was famous for its literary coverage and it will be again.”
- Peter Kirwan profiles the bashful Malaysian billionaire who has just taken a 20 per cent stake in Johnston Press.
- A new column “Launch Pad” which should be essential reading for freelances – detailing the latest magazine industry launches and relaunches.
- Multi award-winning Evening Standard photographer Jeremy Selwyn talks us through some of the greatest photographs of his career.
- Peter Sands of Press Association Training explains how to survive and thrive on the newsdesk: “Remember to eat, drink and sleep…a burnt-out news editor is no good to anyone.”
- The week a crucial by-election came to town for Crewe Chronicle editor Dave Fox. “I tried to to interview one ‘local’ man on the street only to find he was a junior Tory front bencher”.
- Axegrinder talks to notorious former New York Times journalist Jayson Blair about his memories of working with “fun loving” BBC economics editor Stephanie Flanders
Press Gazette is posted to subscribers this afternoon.
Subscribe now and receive:
- A free copy of the Hollis PR Annual 2008 (worth £155 on its own)
- Four free issues of Press Gazette
- An additional £35 saving on the newsstand price: £115, rather than £150.
Press Gazette is in newsagents on Friday. Click here to find your nearest stockist.