Reuters has made its Handbook of Journalism available for free online for the first time.
It’s an amazing resource and something which all journalists should stick on the favourites list.
It kicks off by saying: “Everything we do as Reuters journalists has to be independent, free from bias and executed with the utmost integrity.”
The ten absolutes of Reuters journalism are also worth repeating:
- Always hold accuracy sacrosanct
- Always correct an error openly
- Always strive for balance and freedom from bias
- Always reveal a conflict of interest to a manager
- Always respect privileged information
- Always protect their sources from the authorities
- Always guard against putting their opinion in a news story
- Never fabricate or plagiarise
- Never alter a still or moving image beyond the requirements of normal image enhancement
- Never pay for a story and never accept a bribe