Bristol24/7 is seeking a motivated full-time trainee reporter with a flair for uncovering stories and a passion for Bristol.
From covering breaking news to shining a light on communities, this is a rare opportunity for an early-career journalist to get to the heart of issues across the city and be part of a small team that’s committed to quality local journalism and providing a platform for under-reported voices.
Bristol24/7 is the South West’s leading independent media publication – with half a million readers every month and a growing community of members.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic and full of ideas, have great writing skills and an eye for a story. Managing social media, taking photos and creating video content will all play a key part of the role and the trainee reporter will need to be able to juggle a busy workload, have a meticulous eye for detail and meet tight deadlines.
This new role represents an exciting expansion of the editorial team and offers plenty of scope for a keen early-career reporter to make their mark working across the entire city to be first on the scene of a breaking news story or uncovering an off-diary exclusive.
The chosen candidate will work alongside Bristol24/7 Editor and Deputy Editor to grow the Bristol24/7 news coverage. On the job training will be given and there will be ample opportunity to shape the role, build a portfolio of work and hone multi-media journalism skills.
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to look after your own workload and prioritise tasks to meet deadlines
- A keen eye for detail and a proactive attitude
- Social media experience
- NCTJ diploma in journalism or the equivalent
- Experience of using WordPress and Mailchimp
- Portfolio of published work
- Interest in or knowledge of Bristol
- Willing to work evenings or weekends as required
What we offer:
- On-the-job training, mentoring and support (with the option of progressing to NCTJ senior level qualification – all fully funded)
- 25 days a year holiday (plus birthdays off)
- Flexible working pattern, with the option to work in the office and at home
- Starting salary of £19,000
To apply, send a CV and covering letter (no more than one page) outlining why you want the role and why you would be the ideal candidate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is midday on Monday, September 20.
Bristol24/7 is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. If you are unsure of whether to apply, have any questions or need assistance with the application process, please email email@example.com to arrange an informal chat.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org