- Contract: Full-time, with a six-month probationary period.
- Location: Central Oxford, UK.
- Salary: £45,000 – £55,000 depending on experience. A relocation package is available.
- Closing date: 22 November.
About the position
Global Water Intelligence is looking for a Managing Editor to lead its transition from a monthly news magazine to web-first multi-channel publishing.
The move reflects the fact that as our business has grown, we increasingly need to develop more focused editorial offerings for the various water communities that we serve. We need someone to nurture and support our editorial team through this transition, and thereafter take responsibility for the evolution of GWI’s editorial offering.
The position offers a unique opportunity for a successful journalist with an interest in strategic thinking and a talent for people management to move up to the next level.
It is a step away from frontline news gathering, but understanding the meaning of quality reporting will be vital as you inspire others to give their best. It involves a commitment to our brand values (reliability, exclusivity, urgency, accessibility, intelligence and edge), as well as an ability to see the big picture, while still addressing the details.
It is also a position where your creativity can have a real impact. Water is one of the great social and environmental challenges of our age.
Our business is built on the idea that by creating the intelligent networks that bring together key decision-makers, innovators, financiers, entrepreneurs and researchers, we can make a real difference to the industry.
You will work with our editorial and marketing teams to help grow our subscriber base by evolving our editorial offering. This will involve:
- Working with the publisher and the management team to develop the overall publishing strategy for the magazine;
- Drawing up a plan to deliver that strategy within a budget;
- Working with our experienced editors to ensure that the plan is properly resourced and can be delivered with no loss of quality;
- Training our newer members of staff so that they have the skills that will be required of them;
- Implementing the strategy in a way that maximises staff motivation and commercial success;
- Coordinating the way in which GWI shares its resources with its sister publications (which include WaterData and DesalData);
- Ensuring the productivity of our editorial team grows year on year;
- Pursuing other opportunities for growth as they arise;
- Travelling to international events to meet our customers;
- Writing content as required.
The successful candidate will be expected to be able to show that:
- They have worked for at least five years in a busy newsroom;
- They have developed and implemented a new content strategy;
- They have successfully managed and inspired a team;
- They are familiar with Adobe InDesign;
- They understand the market for business information.
Global Water Intelligence is an ambitious company with around 60 employees located in Oxford (UK), Austin (Texas) and Shanghai (China). It publishes market-leading magazines, newsletters and data, and reports on the international water industry. Additionally, it runs a series of successful events.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter by 22 November 2019 to Jeanette Cowley: email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org