An adviser to singer Susan Boyle today accepted substantial libel damages from the Daily Mail over a claim that he was unfit to handle her affairs.
Retired accountant Ossie Kilkenny, a member of the International Board of Directors of Special Olympics, sued over a story which appeared in the Daily Mail in March last year.
- September 21, 2018
- June 12, 2018
- October 28, 2016
Publication of the false allegations caused him acute distress and anxiety and were an unwarranted slur on his character and professional reputation, his solicitor, Nicholas Armstrong, told Mr Justice Tugendhat.
Mr Kilkenny – who at the time was one of Boyle’s managers – was referred to in an article headed “Family at war over Subo’s millions” which suggested that, because of doubts over his trustworthiness, he was unsuitable or unfit to be trusted to handle the singer’s affairs.
Associated Newspapers had now accepted this was untrue and clarified that it never intended to suggest that Kilkenny managed Boyle’s finances dishonestly, Armstrong said.
It had apologised and agreed to pay him substantial damages and reimburse his legal costs.