Press Gazette is looking for a dynamic and committed online news journalist to join our team.
The role is effectively news editor/chief reporter to be the engine room of our on-the-day breaking news coverage online.
What it involves:
- An early start (8am) – but an early finish too (around 4.30pm)
- A first part of the day which is mainly focused on: quick turnaround news, intelligent aggregation on The Wire blog (so links, plus background and insight) and ensuring our daily midday newsletter is as up to date as possible with all the most important journalism news from the previous 24 hours
- A second half of the day which should be focused on generating original leads and pursuing the stories that you feel passionate about. Digging deeper to hold those in power to account and to find out the truth around the big issues that affect journalists
- We also have some exciting plans to launch a new social media project centred around the future of news in the next few months. And there is plenty of potential to use this job to not just report on digital innovation in journalism but to get involved in some as well
What it requires:
- You need to be NCTJ qualified (or equivalent) with 100 words per minute shorthand
- Have at least two years experience working in a quick turnaround news environment
- The ability to quickly dispatch the more straight-forward diary and announcement style stories, so freeing up time to focus on your own original reporting
- The self-starting creativity to come up with plenty of new story ideas every day in what is a very competitive patch
- Plenty of drive and self-discipline
- Most importantly, you need to believe that journalism can make a difference. If you do, hopefully this is a job which should see you bouncing out of bed every day eager to set-to and fight the good fight!
Please email your CV to me along with a brief covering letter (outlining why you are the right person for this job in no more than 200 words) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any pre-application queries, also – please drop me an email.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 7 FEBRUARY (THOUGH THE SOONER YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH THE BETTER!)
After sterling work for Press Gazette over the last 18 months current online news editor Oliver Luft is leaving in the early part of March to pursue a freelance career. He will continue to be a contributor to Press Gazette online and in print.
For those wishing to get in touch, Oliver’s contact details are: email@example.com and 07811 371995.