The women's weekly market was a stormy and uneven one in the first half of this year, but resilitent overall – dropping just under one per cent to 8.1m copies a week overall.
The biggest rises were Northern and Shell's New!, up 44.4 per cent, and Star, up 38.7 per cent. Both titles have been aggressive on price, selling for 90p, and also benefited from being multi-packed with OK! on some weeks.
Meanwhile OK! suffered one of the biggest falls, down 20.2 per cent year on year.
Burda-published real life title Full House! continued to benefit from a reduced cover price of 50p, growing 29.7 per cent year on year.
Another Burda title, real life weekly Love It!, continued to have a tough time – dropping 24.9 per cent year on year.
Editor Siobhan Wykes, her deputy and a handful of other senior editorial staff all departed the title during the course of the audit period.
Women's weekly magazine sales for the first half of 2010 (source ABC)
Figures given are average sale and change year on year
- Take a Break ; H Bauer Publishing ; 855,372 ; -7.0%
- New! ; Northern & Shell Magazines Ltd ; 577,899 ; 44.4%
- Closer ; Bauer Consumer Media ; 526,713 ; -0.7%
- OK! Magazine ; Northern & Shell PLC ; 478,878 ; -20.2%
- Star ; Northern & Shell PLC ; 440,862 ; 38.7%
- Chat ; IPC Media Ltd ; 430,674 ; -1.0%
- Heat ; Bauer Consumer Media ; 417,163 ; -6.3%
- Hello! ; Hello! Ltd ; 412,195 ; 3.7%
- That's Life ; H Bauer Publishing ; 341,545 ; -11.7%
- Woman's Weekly ; IPC Media Ltd ; 338,577 ; 1.0%
- Now ; IPC Media Ltd ; 338,080 ; -12.0%
- Reveal ; The National Magazine Company Ltd ; 332,212 ; 5.2%
- Pick Me Up ; IPC Media Ltd ; 319,305 ; -1.2%
- Woman ; IPC Media Ltd ; 318,301 ; -3.9%
- Best ; The National Magazine Company Ltd ; 302,309 ; 1.8%
- Peoples Friend ; D C Thomson & Co Ltd ; 291,394 ; -7.1%
- Woman's Own ; IPC Media Ltd ; 272,376 ; -11.4%
- Bella ; H Bauer Publishing ; 246,446 ; 1.0%
- Love It! ; Hubert Burda Media UK ; 231,617 ; -24.9%
- Real People ; The National Magazine Company Ltd ; 225,145 ; 11.5%
- Full House ; Hubert Burda Media UK ; 175,869 ; 29.7%
- My Weekly ; D C Thomson & Co Ltd ; 134,393 ; -7.7%
- National Enquirer – UK Edition ; American Media Inc ; 71,649 ; -10.1%
- The Lady ; The Lady ; 30,769 ; 7.1%