London's free financial daily City AM is apparently in good health as it approaches its first birthday.
The paper, which launched on 5 September, has announced a clutch of new hirings — with a net increase in editorial staff of three. And it now claims to be the most widely read business newspaper in London, with a readership of 120,000.
City AM's ABC-audited free distribution is 82,455 — handed out at transport stations and via distribution boxes at some major offices in the City of London and Canary Wharf. The Financial Times has a total UK-wide circulation figure of 133,676.
Editor David Parsley said: "I am proud to be at the helm of a growing newspaper that is expanding its editorial team and creating new full-time jobs for journalists.
"While some of the appointments replace outgoing staff, we have also created three new positions, adding strength to each editorial department of City AM.
"These new appointments bring our editorial staff to 35."
City AM's new hirings include:
- Simon Evans, currently at Citywire, who has been appointed senior City correspondent
- Joanne McCulloch, former deputy business editor of the Australian Sunday Times, who joins the newsdesk as a reporter covering the retail, media and pensions sectors
- Kate Walsh, currently working for Brand Strategy Management, who joins as a reporter covering the AIM market and small cap companies, among other sectors
- Jeremey Hazlehurst, currently a senior content editor for mobile media group Que Paza, is editor of The Capitalist diary page. He replaces Dominic Midgley
- Mike Bovill, City AM's sports editor since launch, is leaving, but will continue to write a regular sports diary. He is being replaced by Jonathan Couch, previously sports editor of the News and Mail group in Hampshire.
- Frank Dalleres, who has been working for the paper part time, will join the sportsdesk full time from the beginning of August
- Chief reporter Ben Griffiths has been promoted to deputy news editor
- Picture editor Lee Martin has been promoted to associate editor.