Although the Central Asian country achieved independence from Russia in 1991 its established journalists in the field “retain a Soviet mindset unchallenged by the fresh perspectives of younger journalists” the report says.
- Paul Dacre says there was 'deathly silence' on Daily Mail back bench as he sketched out Stephen Lawrence 'murderers' splash just before deadline
- Nick Davies: 'Churnalism has taken the place of what we should be doing: Telling the truth'
- BBC offers second edition of Look East evening news bulletin for viewers in west of region
- National newspaper ABCs: Sun regains top spot as City AM, Times and Observer fare best amid industry-wide circulation decline
- The UK's national news brands rated in order of trust: from the BBC down to the Daily Star